- 1 How do you make pie crust from scratch?
- 2 How do you make blueberry pie from scratch?
- 3 Should I thaw frozen blueberries before baking a pie?
- 4 How do you make apple crumble pie from scratch?
- 5 Is it worth it to make your own pie crust?
- 6 What is better for pie crust butter or shortening?
- 7 What is the best thickener for blueberry pie?
- 8 Why is my blueberry pie so runny?
- 9 How do you store a blueberry pie?
- 10 Why is frozen fruit bad for you?
- 11 Is it better to bake with fresh or frozen blueberries?
- 12 Should you rinse frozen blueberries before baking?
- 13 What are the best apples for pie?
- 14 How many apples is 4 pounds?
How do you make pie crust from scratch?
- To make the dough for the pie crust, mix 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon each salt and sugar in a medium-size bowl.
- Add 4 tablespoons ice water; work with hands until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half, and flatten halves into disks.
How do you make blueberry pie from scratch?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Advertisement.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over blueberries.
- Line pie dish with one pie crust. Pour berry mixture into the crust, and dot with butter.
- Bake pie on lower shelf of oven for about 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Should I thaw frozen blueberries before baking a pie?
You CAN thaw frozen fruit first, but you DO NOT NEED TO thaw frozen blueberries before baking them in a pie. You will most definitely need to bake the blueberry pie longer than you would with fresh or thawed fruit though.
How do you make apple crumble pie from scratch?
Mix the apples, melted butter, both sugars, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Spoon the filling into the chilled pie crust. Pat the crumb mixture on top. Bake the pie on the hot baking sheet until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Is it worth it to make your own pie crust?
Making your own pie crust is definitely something worth mastering. In terms of cost, tastiness, and healthfulness, it wins hands down. Convenience is more of a tie, with the store-bought edging ahead. But ultimately, we think it’s worth the TLC it takes to make a good pie crust.
What is better for pie crust butter or shortening?
The pros: Shortening has a higher melting point than lard or butter, so it’s easy to incorporate into pie dough and roll out. It’s also helpful when making any kind of decorative pie crust, because doughs made with shortening hold their shape the best during baking.
What is the best thickener for blueberry pie?
When thickening a fruit pie filling, there are several options to consider. Very often flour or cornstarch is used, but in certain instances tapioca, arrowroot and potato starch can also help achieve the desired consistency.
Why is my blueberry pie so runny?
Pay attention to bake times: one reason you’ll often end up with a runny fruit pie is simply that it hasn’t been baked long enough. Any thickener you use needs a little time to set up, and people often see their crust turning light brown and think the pie is done when it’s really not.
How do you store a blueberry pie?
Freshly baked blueberry pie will keep well for about 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator; cover loosely with foil or plastic wrap. Can you freeze blueberry pie? Yes, to freeze: wrap blueberry pie tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in heavy-duty freezer bag.
Why is frozen fruit bad for you?
Generally speaking, freezing helps retain the nutrient content of fruits and vegetables. However, some nutrients begin to break down when frozen produce is stored for more than a year ( 2 ). Certain nutrients are also lost during the blanching process. In fact, the greatest loss of nutrients occurs at this time.
Is it better to bake with fresh or frozen blueberries?
Frozen blueberries can be preferential in baking because they help prevent sinking and are less likely to burst during cook-time. If you are cooking with blueberries, you can almost always replace fresh with frozen.
Should you rinse frozen blueberries before baking?
Rinse your frozen blueberries before you use them. Rinse berries in cold water several times – until the water is noticeably lighter when you drain them. Bottom right: fresh berries + crushed berries. Gently and quickly stir the frozen berries into the batter.
What are the best apples for pie?
The Apples We Use For Apple Pie
- Granny Smith — Your standard, never-fails baking apple.
- Honeycrisp — Extra crisp and always holds firm after baking.
- Jonagold — Tart with a bit of sweetness.
- Braeburn — Crisp, sweet apples that hold up well in pie and other baked desserts.
How many apples is 4 pounds?
The answer depends on the variety of the apple. It takes less big Red Delicious apples to make a pound than it does small Macintoshes. The general rule is that it takes four small, three medium or two large apples to make a pound.